Wednesday, March 19

bibliophile [the fault in our stars]

OMG. So teen angsty, so weepy.


The Fault In Our Stars, John Green

People are generally obsessed with this one, so I'm sure you've heard of it: star-crossed, cancer-ridden teenagers working through some pretty heavy stuff. They are both unrealistically intelligent, which makes their banter excellent but their believably absolutely non-existent. That's not necessarily a problem, but this is the least-likely to ever exist couple in ever. Thankfully, I suppose, I wasn't reading this for the teen love but rather for the unique approach to disease. TFIOS says some pretty irreverent, funny, terrible things about illness, particularly cancer, and I think it's worth reading. Blurb:

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel’s story is about to be completely rewritten.

Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw, The Fault in Our Stars is award-winning-author John Green’s most ambitious and heartbreaking work yet, brilliantly exploring the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love.


Basically this is not OMGTHEBESTBOOKEVER as most media outlets would have you believe, but it is a fun read and a nice distraction from the 1,000 page monstrosity that is 1Q84 (expect that review in 2015). And I'll admit that I teared up ONCE during a eulogy. Sue me.

Have you already given in to the hype? Did you read it a year ago? One more thing: it's about to become a movie (although I can't say I loved the trailer). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

how you like dem apples?