Wednesday, June 12

cheap eats [juicing pulp bread]

Guys, this is just straight weird. If you're unable to think creatively, just skip on ahead to the next post (which will be posted at the regularly intended time, sorry for missing a few days!).

If you've ever used a juicer, you've wondered what to do with all the leftover pulp. It seems so wasteful to throw it out, but it's pretty much just slightly fruity/vegetabley fiber.


When my new roommate L moved in, he brought a juicer and a passion for liquid health. Within the first week I had him showing me how it's done, but I could not BELIEVE the waste. We don't have a compost and I don't have a dog to make treats for, the two most common uses for pulp, but I'll be damned if I'm throwing away all that goodness.


A few good ideas I saw: freeze it and add it to other things. Stir it into tomato sauce, layer it in lasagna, blend it into your green smoothies, mix it into your breads and muffins, your mac n' cheese,  and any soup ever.

The idea of using it in baked goods makes perfect sense to me, as I love me some banana bread, zucchini bread, and carrot cake. I'm trying to be pretty strict about what I eat during the week and when I'm based at home, since my weekends and travel for work can get unpredictable, so I wasn't willing to make muffins-with-veggies. I'd rather make veggies-with-muffins, if you know what I mean. I modified this recipe and got the following:

Beat together
  • 1 T coconut oil, melted
  • 1 T honey
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • 1/4 C unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/4 C Truvia
  • 6 T egg whites (equivalent of 2 eggs), beaten
Sift together
  • 1 C whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t salt
  • healthy shakes of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom
Fold together
  • the liquid stuff, the dry stuff, and 1-2 cups pulp
Pour it into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper, put it in a pre-heated 350 degree oven, and sit back for 40 minutes or until golden brown on top.


I literally couldn't think of any way to make this healthier, and trust me, it's yummy and satisfying. It'll smell like absolute heaven in your home, but be ready to taste a bit of veggies. If I wasn't being healthy, I'd smear on some cream cheese and call it a balanced meal. Nutrition facts are below. I'm totally blown away by a loaf of bread with less than 800 calories. 100 calorie slices of a baked good? That's a win in my book.

Another win in my book? Topping it with some ricotta (cream cheese if you're D). Mmm mmm fiber.


Pulp BreadCaloriesCarbsFatProteinFiberSugar
Honey, 1 tbsp641700017
Crystal Farms All Whites - Liquid Egg Whites, 6 T50001000
Carrots - Raw, 1.5 C79180259
Trader Joe's - Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, 1 T120014000
Trader Joe's - 100% White Whole Wheat Flour, 1 C44092216160
Truvia - 1/4 C000000
Whole Foods 365 - Organic Almond Milk, Unsweetened, 1/4 C1011000

76312817282126

No comments:

Post a Comment

how you like dem apples?