Wednesday, May 15

Cheap Eats [super soup]

In the market for some summery soups? Soup is one of my favorite dishes. I love the consistency, you can pack a ton of flavor, they are often pretty simple to create something so elegant, and I feel light but satisfied, the perfect feeling during bikini season.


Ms. Martha has inspired me this year. A few of these are on the menu for this week, as D and I have decided to start meal planning again (fun, convenient, time-saver, money-saver, all around good idea). Here's what I have my eye on:



Heck yeah. Sounds like a tzatziki in a soup, and would probably be a great starter to any Mediterranean meal. I would replace the sour cream with Greek yogurt to keep things healthy. It's no-cook, so save this for a day when it's too hot to turn on the oven.



D probs won't join me on this one, since he's not a coconut fan, but I love tropical flavors, particularly in the summer. I've never heard of mixing corn and coconut, so I'm sure it's a unique taste. All of these recipes that call for pureeing are going to be much easier with my Vitamix :)



I am DYING to try this one, and we got all the ingredients last night. This is on the list for our weekly meals for sure. You get a little heat from the jalapeno. Avocado is great in any form, and I love the color contrast of the bright coral shrimp and the creamy celadon. Yes, the design of the meal matters to me, particularly if it's a dinner party!



What a classic. Everyone should have a Gazpacho recipe in their back pocket for the summer months. I ate this obsessively when I studied abroad in Spain, and really enjoyed a green tomato version as well, if you get tired of the traditional red. You can do so much with this as a base- add meat, seafood, add cream, add spice, and on and on. You could even turn it into Spicy BLT Soup (D would be in for that, he told our new roommate that bacon was his favorite food yesterday).



This one interests me because I almost always have all of the ingredients on hand: celery, onion, potato, lemon juice, butter. Too simple. And anything that tastes creamy without using actual cream is a win in my book.



Using frozen foods for the main ingredients makes this soup super quick and easy, and it's another no-cook recipe. D and I just bought a container of Philip's Jumbo-Lump Crab meat, so I may substitute that instead. We really don't have corn on hand all that often, but I think I'm going to pick some up for these recipes!

Any amazing no-cook meals out there I should add to my list?

No comments:

Post a Comment

how you like dem apples?