Thursday, March 21

Bibliophile [book lust]

An interesting choice of reads for me.



Book Lust: Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason

This is not so much a book as it is a book-about-books. I truly can't imagine anyone paying for this, as it's pretty much a recommendation of what you should read next based on what you've read before...and Amazon will give you that for free. Here's your blurb:

What to read next is every book lover's greatest dilemma. Nancy Pearl comes to the rescue with this wide-ranging and fun guide to the best reading new and old. Pearl, who inspired legions of litterateurs with "What If All (name the city) Read the Same Book," has devised reading lists that cater to every mood, occasion, and personality. These annotated lists cover such topics as mother-daughter relationships, science for nonscientists, mysteries of all stripes, African-American fiction from a female point of view, must-reads for kids, books on bicycling, "chick-lit," and many more. Pearl's enthusiasm and taste shine throughout.

Like, right? It's a kitschy and fun idea for an article, perhaps, but a book? I found her writing to be funny, and her persona was tangible and likable. I felt some camaraderie with her as she pointed readers to various literature, thinking, "oh yes, I agree, I'd tell my friend to read x after enjoying y, good idea Nancy", but for the most part I felt like I could get more accurate predictions from genome, a literary friend, or a friendly staff at Barnes & Noble. She comes to us from NPR fame, and maybe it should have remained a radio-show rather than a full-blown book, in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

how you like dem apples?