Friday, November 16

Friday extras: twofold

Hey ya'll, hope you're enjoying a lovely Friday afternoon. My friend G posted something interesting on the 'book today that I wanted to share.

If you're free around midnight, head outside to see the Leonids meteor shower (near the Leo constellation). 




I remember being woken up by dad at 1am, walking over to a field near our home, and drinking thermoses of hot chocolate while staring at the sky (love you Dad!). Regardless of what you're drinking at midnight tonight (spiked hot chocolate, perhaps?), take the time to participate in this. Even if meteors aren't your "thing" (who are you?), it's powerful to imagine the community of star gazers, dreamers, drunks, and sleepy children all sharing in the same moment.


Point two: while I was looking at the Leonids meteor shower Wikipedia page above, I got a little pop up to donate to Wikimedia. Now, I'm not just saying this because I'm a fundraiser, but I'm sure I do have more tolerance and understanding than the next guy when it comes to asking for money. And Wikipedia does it the right way.

Wikipedia is non-profit, but it's the #5 website in the world. With 450 million monthly users, we have costs like any top site: servers, power, rent, programs, staff and legal help. To protect our independence, we'll never run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations: $5 is the most common, the average is about $30. If everyone reading this gave $5, our fundraiser would be done within an hour. Please help us forget fundraising and get back to Wikipedia. 

  I mean, how many college papers did Wikipedia help you write? How many times have you played "6 degrees of Wikipedia" to see who could connect the two most random things in 6 clicks using only Wikipedia pages? How often do you click over there on your iPhone mid-conversation with someone smarter than you to quickly figure out what the f they're talking about? #keepitfree, folks.

That is all- enjoy your weekend and let me know if you see the meteor shower!

No comments:

Post a Comment

how you like dem apples?