Friday, June 15

Classy or sassy? Affordable summer dresses

My brother's lovely fiance, J, is on the prowl for shower dresses. As a bride-to-be, there are so many engagements for which you have to look cute. Engagement parties, engagement photos, showers, bachelorette parties, rehearsal dinners, after-the-wedding-brunches, and the list goes on.

It got me thinking that the entire spring season is really one party after another, calling for cute but appropriate styling (if grandma is going to be there, save the Jolie-leg-slit and the J.Lo-navel-bearer for next time).


Here are some dresses that I'm admiring this season- I found so many that were more expensive and amazing, but I'm trying to shop for items that will have a low cost-per-wear...I think that's what TRUE value is. Yes, my Michael Kors watch was expensive, but I wear it every day and it will run for years...as opposed to the almost-as-expensive party dress that gets two wears. Ya with me?

I really loved most of the Trina Turk collection for Banana Republic (and loved their cocktail party release too)! This dress fit me well, but I'm hoping to catch it on sale...it's $130 and there are only a few sizes left online, but my local BR has TONS of these dresses, so check in store. Here's one of my favorite fashion bloggers in the dress!
Trina Turk Dress, Banana Republic
Comes in white too- for $65? Forget about it. I like the sequins in demure colors. If you're of the mindset that the bride should wear white to every engagement, this one in white would be bachelorette-ready.
Asos Sequin Dress
This is the most expensive dress I'm posting at $165. I think it's amazing. Also comes in pale pink.
Chiffon Maxi Dress
Modcloth is a great option if you want a dress with that retro vibe. I've ordered a few pieces from them over the years and I'm always pleasantly surprised with the quality. This one's just over $50, and I find the strap detailing to be unique.
Summer It Up, Modcloth
This one has great reviews as being sexy and classy, so what's not to like? I usually go to Anthro for quirky but well-made pieces, but this dress proves they can do demure classics just as well. $140 isn't bad for such a versatile dress.
Rouched Column Dress, Anthro
The pleating on the top of this dress is adorable, and I love a defined waist. Would need to be jazzed up with accessories though.
Loft Pleated Bodice Dress
This JCrew number is sweet and summery, and comes in bright green and lavender as well. Hard to tell in this picture, but it's eyelet lace. Under $100.
Ella Eyelet Dress, JCrew
Bright and playful coral and a good balance of lots-o-legs and covered up top. A bib necklace or longer bauble would jazz it up. ShopBop is always a win in my book.
Scuba Dress, TopShop
Love the peacock colors in this Dorothy Perkins dress, $70 and work appropriate.
Feather Border Dress

This baby below is under $50, and comes in baby pink as well. The back is fun, check it out at Asos.
Asos Dot Dress
Great color, great midi-length, and pleats and silk are definitely in. Make sure to undo one button...gotta be ready to party.
Midi Pleated Dress, TopShop
This thing is ADORABLE. I love peplum (but only if you're super petite, like J). They have this in black (sexy) and hot pink (fun) as well as this cream. I like that it hints of professional-sexy, right? It's less than $70.
Asos Peplum Dress

No comments:

Post a Comment

how you like dem apples?